Job role description
- Play a visionary role in establishing HBKU as a research-led University.
- Lead the institution's research establishment and foster innovation and excellence in research across all disciplines.
- Develop and maintain a culture of research in Qatar by providing an opportunity for local staff and graduates to advance their research careers. This will be done through advice on research, offering a forum for professional research practice, publishing research and sharing knowledge.
- Work closely with faculty, deans, branch campuses, program partners and senior leadership to establish collaborative research priorities and themes across disciplines; ones that will have a positive impact on Qatar's society and the regional development.
- Develop research programs and research directions, in collaboration with the faculty, to promote and enhance the university's contribution of new knowledge and the national and international standing of HBKU.
- Garner systematic input from the research community to develop and implement strategies to continuously improve research programs and infrastructure.
- Advise the provost, president and director of strategy and performance on matters of university research policy, vision, strategic planning and long-range budgeting. In addition to that, prepare annual operational plans and budgets for all matters pertaining to the university's research support and infrastructure activities.
- Represent and advocate for HBKU both nationally and internationally. Also, develop strong working relationships with national and international businesses, industries and granting agencies for the purpose of knowledge transfer.
- Organize and participate in forums, conferences and colloquiums to share knowledge and advance the research agenda and attract world-class researchers to HBKU.
- Identify grant opportunities and support the preparation of major grant applications. This will be done in collaboration with individual schools, branch campuses and program partners.
- Promote collaboration between teaching and research, and work closely with the provost and the deans to ensure that a university-wide perspective is brought to bear on the interaction between research and teaching.
- Provide external agencies, corporations and foundations with information on the research, training, and service capabilities of the University. In particular, work with the director of alumni affairs, the provost, and the deans in identifying and establishing liaisons with corporations and foundations that will provide support for basic and applied research at the university.
- Collaborate closely with other research entities including the Qatar Foundation research enterprise, Qatar Science and Technology Park, Qatar Research Foundation, Qatar Research Institutes, Qatar University, as well as private enterprises to maximize the synergy of research.
- Act as a strong advocate for the commercialization of basic research ideas and intellectual property into a broad-based economic development approach, and optimize the intellectual property opportunities arising from research undertaken in HBKU.
- Oversee all research related publications or announcements in collaboration with the director for marketing and communication.
- Perform other tasks and duties that may be required from time to time in order to meet the requirements of the role and the aims of the university.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- PhD degree from an accredited university with other academic credentials appropriate for the role.
- Minimum of 15 years of postdoctoral experience with 10 years at senior management level with increasing managerial responsibilities for research affairs.
- Experience at Professor rank, and having previously held a senior academic administrative position of dean or department head.
- Successful record of scholarship, funded research, and publications.
- Ability to lead and work with diverse groups, cultures, and communities.
- Leadership of multi-disciplinary research/development institutions and in national and international research establishments.
- Knowledge of national and international research agendas and enterprises.
- Successful interaction with government agencies and the corporate sector.
- An understanding of contemporary high quality models of higher education and the development of research infrastructure.
- Leadership and innovation in the development and commercialization of research outcomes and knowledge of technology transfer issues and economic development activities.
- Familiarity with patenting and licensing.
- An understanding of budgeting in a complex environment, grants and contracts administration, and strategic planning with accountability measures.
- Fluency in English; Arabic fluency is preferred.
How To Apply
To apply, please follow this link - https://hbku.wufoo.com/forms/z5b3t570riqfqg/
Additional documents may be solicited from short-listed candidates.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an accommodation allowance, annual paid leave, and medical insurance.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.