Colby-Sawyer College seeks a Director of Athletics to lead and manage all aspects of the College's NCAA Division III intercollegiate athletics program that includes 23 varsity sports, the majority of which compete in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference. A history of successful leadership in coeducational college athletics, including personnel management, compliance, and operations is required. In addition, the Director will possess documented success in collaborating with multiple departments to meet student-athlete recruitment and retention goals; demonstrate a commitment to the student-athlete experience; and illustrate successful fundraising experience and ability to cultivate alumni and donor engagement.
This is a highly visible position that reports directly to the President. The Director of Athletics will effectively work with administrative offices such as Admissions, Financial Services, Advancement, and Marketing and Communications to recruit, retain, and support student-athletes. The Director is also responsible for creating and sustaining a culture of sportsmanship, professionalism, and respect at all levels; applying sound fiscal management; and ensuring compliance with institutional policies, athletic governance organization rules and regulations, and local, state, and federal laws. Success relies on an in-depth understanding of the role of athletics in a coeducational, liberal arts institution, and leadership that is consistent with the mission and goals of the college to promote a positive student-athlete experience.
· Effectively advocate for the well-being of student-athletes and the athletics program in general.
· Recruit, hire, mentor, motivate, supervise, and evaluate up to 35 full and part-time department employees and student assistants. Meet often with staff to plan and coordinate events, assign and evaluate projects, and resolve problems.
· Encourage diversity in hiring in athletics including students, staff, administrators, and coaches.
· Oversee the recruitment of prospective student-athletes by working with Admissions to create appropriate correspondence and schedule on-campus visits. Monitor recruitment and roster goals of all coaches and support them in achieving those goals. Collaborate with athletics staff to promote academic success, retention, and graduation for all student-athletes through partnerships with the campus community.
· Communicate regularly with key campus personnel and collaborate with campus offices to plan, problem-solve, and promote the student-athlete experience.
· Effectively allocate available resources to support goals and objectives through the development, implementation, and monitoring of the annual operating budget.
· Serve as the face of athletics in fundraising and support the Advancement staff in all fundraising activities involving athletics by cultivating increased alumni engagement and fostering donor relationships.
· Develop and implement operating policies, procedures, and initiatives that build and maintain healthy, competitive athletic programs; support NCAA and conference rules; and promote good sportsmanship.
· Oversee and supervise all regular department operations associated with scheduling, sports information, team travel, equipment purchasing and maintenance, and facility and event management.
· Assess the athletics program regularly for planning, continual improvement, and to enhance and maximize the student athlete experience.
· Represent Colby-Sawyer College at NCAA and conference meetings. Represent and promote the athletic program to alumni, parents, prospective and current student-athletes, and at various public relations and fundraising functions.
· Plan and administer appropriate department records systems. Prepare a variety of administrative and management reports including EADA and various NCAA documents.
· Keep abreast of current developments in higher education athletics programs, including athletic association regulations and guidelines, and ensure Colby-Sawyer compliance with the latter.
· Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in athletics administration, sports management, or a related field preferred.
· At least six years of successful senior-level leadership in athletics administration at the NCAA Division III level including personnel management, student-athlete recruitment and retention, budget management, compliance, operations, and policy development.
· Experience in coaching at the college level preferred.
· Personal commitment to the NCAA Division III philosophy.
· Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
· Documented success in fundraising and commitment to the development of alumni and donor relationships.
· Knowledge of technology related to college athletic programs and program management.
· Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
· The ability to work nights and weekends in order to fully participate in athletics, recruiting, and college-wide programs and events.
To Apply Please email your application to CSCjobs@colby-sawyer.edu including the following:
· Letter of application
· Current curriculum vitae (CV)
· Names and telephone numbers/e-mail addresses of three references
· Salary expectations
Candidates who can actively contribute to racial, ethnic, or cultural diversity on campus are encouraged to include this information in the cover letter.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Colby-Sawyer College is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to maintaining a diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment which celebrates multiple perspectives. Colby-Sawyer College will not tolerate discrimination in employment or employment-related decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, mental or physical disability, family or marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, or gender identity.