About The New Press: The New Press is anonprofit publisher committed to social change. We have amplifiedprogressive voices for a more inclusive, just, and equitable worldfor more than thirty years. Our books enrich public discourse,defend democratic values, and promote the public interest. Weare:
- A book publisher with asocial justice mission.
- An intellectual home forthe nation’s leading progressive thinkers, journalists, scholars,political leaders, and activists.
- A publishing house whereideas and movements cometogether.
- A small, diverseorganization with a big vision: to change the world,book by book.
Today, The New Press has evolved into a key player in theprogressive infrastructure, collaborating with dozens of nonprofitorganizations, advocacy groups, research institutes, think tanks,colleges and universities, and philanthropic foundations as weposition our books as catalysts for social change.
Job Summary: As the day-to-day operational leadfor foundation fundraising, the Development Officer manages The NewPress-wide grants efforts and is responsible for securing supportfrom a range of large and small foundations to meet theorganization’s philanthropic goals and operating needs – currently$2.5 million in foundation grants from over two dozen majorfoundations (Ford, MacArthur, Open Society, Omidyar, etc.)annually. In addition to writing and managing grant proposals andpreparing grant reports, the position is also responsible forassisting in planning and budget development, including developingother materials as needed as well as prospect research. Theposition reports to the Chief Development Officer and collaborateswith the Development Assistant and other junior staff within thedepartment.
- Strategize with management on an ongoing basis to maintainlong-term financial sustainability through major six figurefoundation grants in support of the organization’s mission andoperations.
- Primary responsibility for sustaining high-level foundationcontacts and for maintaining grant funding levelsyear-over-year.
- Manage, oversee, and execute The New Press’s foundationfundraising plan in support of the organization’s $2.5m foundationfunding goal; maintain relationships with multiplestakeholders.
- Identify, research, and cultivate new and lapsed foundationdonors for unrestricted and restricted support.
- Coordinate, prepare for, attend, and do follow-up for (asappropriate) meetings with foundation staff with the ExecutiveDirector, Chief Development Officer, Editorial Director, andeditorial staff.
- Write and coordinate foundation proposals, in conjunction withother members of the fundraising team and editorial staff, forgeneral operating support as well as specific bookprojects.
- Report on all foundation grants in a thorough and timelyfashion.
- Maintain on-going cultivation of existing foundationcontacts
- Work closely with The New Press accounting manager on financialreporting.
- Work with Chief Development Officer to develop and managebudget projections.
- Attend editorial meetings, as appropriate, to evaluate fundingopportunities related to editorial prospects (proposals, RFPs,potential authors), to convey foundation interests, and to helpfacilitate the exchange of ideas/information between developmentand editorial staff.
- Liaise with key staff to ensure grant compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Proven track record with proposal writing for institutionalfunders, including successful procurement of multiple six-figuregrants.
- As a publishing house, we prioritize a high-level command ofthe written word. Excellent communication skills (oral and written)are essential.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team,effectively manage multiple projects, tasks, anddeadlines.
- Proficiency with fundraising techniques, strategies, andsources.
- Knowledge and familiarity with prospect researchtechniques.
- Experience with budget development and monitoring finances witha high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to hold in confidence information concerning theorganization’s strategic, philanthropic, and financial goals andpriorities.
- Ability to identify ways to match the programs, books, andactivities of The New Press with potential foundation funders;identify proactive and responsive strategies for engaging (andpartnering as appropriate) with program officers in ways thataddress foundation priorities and goals.
- Exceptional organizational skills, diplomacy, discretion,attention to detail, pro-activeness, and a high energylevel.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build and maintainrelationships with foundation stakeholders and will be a centralpart of the team that meets with foundationstakeholders.
- Passion for progressive social change and familiarity with theNYC philanthropy landscape
- Certified Fundraising Executive credentialing
- Experience using Raisers Edge
- Supervisory experience with freelancers/contractors/juniorstaff
- Love of reading
- Familiarity with New Press books
- Familiarity with New Press funders
- Budget Management
- Long-term Financing