Any salary estimation specified by this job board may or may not align with our organization’s pay philosophy. Apply to connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who can provide more details!
About American Ordnance
At American Ordnance, we know the stakes and ‘We do what we say!’® We’re the team working behind the scenes to make sure our nation’s front lines have safe, high-quality ammunition. As a trusted premier manufacturer of ammunition to the U.S. Military, some of our capabilities range from production of direct and indirect fire, warheads, to special projects and beyond. With more than 70 years of experience and Day & Zimmermann behind us, it’s no surprise that our teams consistently exceed expectations! Come join in on our purpose – We put people to work, we protect American freedoms, and we help our customers to power and improve the world! https://aollc.biz
We’re looking for an on-site full-time, staff COST ESTIMATOR to join our American Ordnance team located in Middletown, IA.
Our Cost Estimator 2 position: supports, leads and prepares detailed proposals/cost estimates, bill of materials & technical data packages including labor, materials, storage costs, indirect costs, testing, cash flow and long term planning for medium range assignments. Contributes to the development and implementation of continuous improvement initiatives for supplier development, expansion of supply base and achievement of supplier diversity goals; knowledgeable of the munitions' industry trends and indicators.
As the Estimator 2, here’s the work you’ll do:
- Collaborates & integrates with business partners and stakeholders to ensure qualified suppliers are selected for RFP & RFQ processes.
- Assists with developing the sourcing strategy for components, parts, commodities and services.
- Manages full Sourcing lifecycle from preparation of the Recommended Bidder's List (RBL), issues Requests for Quote (RFQs), receives and evaluates bids, prepares Competitive Bid Evaluation (CBE), and conducts supplier negotiations.
- Negotiates pricing, deliveries, and Terms & Conditions with suppliers to ensure competitiveness is achieved; identifies areas of risk and develops and implements mitigation plan. Determines areas where cost savings can be achieved while enhancing operating efficiencies.
- Skillfully read and interpret technical drawings and data packages to prepare detailed quantity take-offs and bill(s) of material with high level degree of accuracy.
- Continuously increase working knowledge in Munitions' ongoing markets in areas of responsibility, including industry knowledge and benchmark trends & indicators. Develops cost analysis and sourcing recommendations based on industry trends as assigned; possesses and applies knowledge of DoD, ITAR, ATF and HSE regulatory requirements; interfaces with all disciplines supporting proposals and estimates; supports the Small Business Reporting (SBR) process.
- Assist Supply Chain with supplier development and expansion of supply base to optimize profitability.
- Work collaboratively with Supply Chain, Finance, Operations & Proposal teams to improve and expand current estimating databases while developing tools to produce accurate estimates.
This role is for you if you have these skills:
- Proficient sourcing, negotiating, organizational skills, and excellent verbal & written communication skills to include decision-making and ability to influence others while demonstrating professionalism, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently, apply analytical/problem solving skills, prioritize workload to support internal/external customer requirements, utilize resources to accomplish tasks efficiently and to support production schedules in a matrixed organization. Proven experience with supporting multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines, organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and SAP/ERP systems.
- Manufacturing procurement/estimating expertise in government contracting, munitions' industry and manufacturing environments.
- Intermediate knowledge of estimating tools & resources (e.g. reference material).
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong communicator – written and verbal.
- Detail and process oriented.
And if you have these qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree preferred in Business, Supply Chain, Engineering, Operations Management, or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Estimating, Supply Chain, or Engineering assignments in a manufacturing environment
- Computer proficiency certifications a plus or equivalent education
- Understanding of SAP/ERP/BOM systems and structures
- Understanding of Government Microsoft Excel
- Skilled in reading engineered drawings and blueprints
- Great attitude and team player
- Successful completion of background screening process
We care about our employees and it shows! Our staff receive a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical/Rx, dental and vision coverage; life, AD&D and disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; 100% paid maternity leave for up to 12 weeks, parental leave, family leave, other paid time off; voluntary benefits and discount programs to meet our employees’ individual needs, including pet insurance for our furry family members!
To ensure a safe work environment while meeting the physical demands of the job, you must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks, with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery)
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body
- Manual dexterity (e.g. picking, pinching, typing, or other working that uses the fingers)
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally (e.g., accurately, quick and loudly convey spoken instructions to workers)
- Ability to regularly perform all job functions at Company’s office or work site
What Are You Waiting For? Apply Now!
- Talent Acquisition Partner: Stephan Shinholt
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
American Ordnance, A Day & Zimmermann Company is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over a century of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. American Ordnance is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email email@example.com, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.