Radio Bilingüe (RB) is looking for its next leader – aCo-Executive Director (Co-ED) – to share responsibility for thetransition and success of RB into its next generation of leadershipand impactful programming and service. This is a full-time positionbased in Fresno, California.
Radio Bilingüe is the nation’s leading Latino-controllednon-commercial radio network and producer of Latino-focusedprogramming in Spanish, English, Mixteco and Triqui in publicradio. Radio Bilingüe owns and operates 25 FM public radio stationsin California, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas as well as anational Spanish language news and information service used by morethan 75 affiliates across the U.S.
Radio Bilingüe is employing a new model of executive leadershipas its founding Executive Director, Hugo Morales, transitions outof the day-to-day management of RB and into a new role infundraising. The selected candidate and Hugo Morales will becomeCo-Executive Directors for an anticipated period of one year asdetermined by the Board. Hugo Morales will mentor the new Co-ED toassume shared responsibility for setting strategy and vision forthe organization and ensuring its fiscal health and excellentmanagement.
Over time, the new Co-ED will assume increasing responsibilityfor the strategic and operational direction and success of theorganization. This includes maximizing RB’s impact, ensuringfunding for current and future needs, growing and diversifying RB’saudience and building on RB’s engagement with local, state,national and international partners.
The ideal candidate will possess a passion for non-commercial,Latino-controlled independent media and be committed to RB’sleadership role of serving as a voice to inform and empower Latinofarmworker, immigrant and other underrepresented communities. Thisperson also will have a strong commitment to social, racial andeconomic justice as well as diversity, equity, inclusion andbelonging. They will be a visionary and strategist and possess anenterprising spirit, serving as an ambassador for RB’s values andlegacy.
- Directly supervise senior management team that includesDirectors of News, Broadcast/Public Affairs, Business andDevelopment.
- Co-lead long-range visioning and strategic planning inpartnership with the Board of Directors and staff.
- Inspire, motivate and co-lead a team of committed and engagedprofessionals to realize RB’s mission, vision and short- andlong-term goals.
- Embrace and operationalize a collaborative leadership modelwith senior staff, fostering shared decision-making and a sense ofcollective responsibility.
- Engage with managers in process of maximizing seed funds todevelop new or renovated broadcast facilities in Fresno.
- Ensure sufficient organizational resources and support toachieve goals and outcomes.
- Foster an environment of inclusion and belonging among staff,volunteers, audience members and partners.
- Recruit and retain diverse, highly qualified staff andvolunteers by providing coaching, growth and leadershipopportunities and support as well as professional developmentopportunities for workers.
Community and Public Relations
- Serve as the leading public face and spokesperson for RB.
- Oversee RB’s public image and marketing strategies.
- Identify and cultivate the next generations of RB listeners andsupporters.
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with key community, state,national and international stakeholders and organizations.
Supervise Development Director and participate inDevelopment Team’s activities, including:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with individual andinstitutional funders.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of fundraisinggoals and strategies for meeting those goals.
- Spearheading major gifts campaign and major fundraisingevents.
- Developing and monitoring funding goals to match annual andfuture budget needs.
Board of Directors Relations andResponsibilities
- Develop and sustain strong working relationships with RB’sBoard members.
- Assist in the development of Board policies.
- Engage the Board in strategic operational and financialplanning.
- Ensure the Board has the financial, information, administrativeand other support it needs to successfully lead theorganization.
- Assist in identifying potential new Board members.
Supervise Business Director and Consulting AccountingFirm. Engage in related activities, including:
- Overseeing the preparation of annual budgets.
- Regularly monitoring revenues and expenses to ensure neededfunds and prevent any annual deficit.
- Ensuring the maintenance of sound financial practices andcompliance with all federal and state accounting rules and fundersstipulations.
Supervise Business and Broadcast Directors andparticipate in activities, including:
- Overseeing the development of and ensuring compliance withinternal policies, including personnel policies.
- Becoming trained in and ensuring compliance with local, state,and federal laws and regulations, including those related tobroadcasting, communications, public radio, taxes and workplaceissues.
- Overseeing the fulfillment of and ensuring compliance withcontracts and agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Five+ years of experience in the non-profit arena at theexecutive level
- Live in or near Fresno, California
- Commitment to and knowledge of the farmworker, Latino andimmigrant communities and/or other underrepresentedcommunities
- Commitment to public/community media’s mission and vision
- Be a visionary and strategist and possess an enterprisingspirit
- Five+ years of proven fundraising experience and success
- Five+ years of supervisory experience
- Bilingual Spanish and English, with excellent verbalcommunication skills in both languages and excellent written skillsin English
- Be open to and embrace a model of being mentored by the currentExecutive Director and learning from other senior managers
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership skills
- Excellent project and team management skills
- Excellent internal and external communications skills
The starting salary range for this position is $90,000-$100,000.This is a regular, full-time position that requires flexiblescheduling for occasional work during weekends or evenings. Ourcomprehensive benefits package includes vacation and sick leave;health, dental, and life insurance; a retirement plan; a supportiveteam culture and support for professional developmentactivities.
The physical location of this position is Radio Bilingüe’sheadquarters in Fresno, California. This position requires traveldepending on organizational needs.
TO APPLY: Email resume with cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT RADIO BILINGÜE
Radio Bilingüe is the leading Latino-controlled noncommercialradio network and producer of Latino-focused programming inSpanish, English, Mixteco and Triqui in the nation’s public radiosystem. For more than 40 years, Radio Bilingüe has been servingLatino and Indigenous farmworkers and other low-wage essentialworkers in the U.S. with news and information targeted to theirneeds, as well as opportunities for civic engagement.
Radio Bilingüe is an equal opportunity employer thatis committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion inthe workplace. We strongly encourage people from allbackgrounds to apply for our open positions. All qualifiedapplicants for employment will receive considerationwithout regard to an individual’s race, race, religion,ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genderidentity, transgender status, age, mental or physical disability,military or veteran status, marital status, medical condition orany other characteristics as protected by federal, stateor local laws.
- Financial Planning
- Volunteer Recruitment
- Audio Visual Equipment Operation and Maintenance