TITLE: Assistant Librarian, Technical Services
FLSA STATUS: Salaried
DEPARTMENT: Rebecca Crown Library
REPORTS TO: University Librarian
Primary Purpose/Position Summary
Reporting to the University Librarian, manages the day-to-day operations of the Technical Services unit. Responsibilities include acquisition of library materials, cataloging, maintenance of the library’s print and online collections, discovery layer, and authentication tools. Supervises staff and students in the unit and works collaboratively with college departments, faculty, and students to promote and fulfill resource needs. Other technical services duties include serving as the liaison to the library’s consortium partners at the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries of Illinois (CARLI). This is a fiscal year (12 month), faculty-ranked, tenure-track appointment. This is a fiscal year (12 month), faculty-ranked, tenure-track appointment.
EXPECTATION FOR ALL DOMINICAN EMPLOYEES
To support the University’s mission of preparing students to pursue truth, to give compassionate service, and to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.
Job Components/Principal Duties and Responsibilities: Technical Services Duties
Technical Services Duties
- Plans, directs, and manages acquisitions, cataloging, and processing of all library collections
- Performs copy and original cataloging, database maintenance and troubleshooting, and authority control
- Understanding of DDC, OCLC, RDA, MARC, LC Subject Headings, LC Classification, and descriptive cataloging
- Recommends the adoption of bibliographic maintenance standards and authorities in an automated environment, develops procedures for processing all library materials
- Evaluates existing collections identifying gaps and reinforces strengths; inventories and deaccessions materials as needed
- Collaborating with the University Librarian, allocates the resource budget to library selectors
- Effectively represents the library at regional and consortia technical services meetings
- Supervises the operations of the library’s Technical Services staff and student employees
- Prepares collections statistical reports
- Knowledge of Open Athens, Ex-Libris Alma and PrimoVE is preferred
- Fulfill faculty librarian responsibilities in accordance with the Faculty Handbook
- Participate and contribute to the library’s collection development efforts
- Provide reference services online and in-person, including evenings and weekends
- Actively participate in the Dominican University shared governance by serving on committees, cross-campus teams, working groups, or other initiatives that advances the university’s mission
- Serve on one or more library teams to enhance library services
- Teach one three-credit course per academic year
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, student learning, creativity, and teaching excellence
- Other duties as assigned
All qualifications are required unless otherwise indicated.
- Master of Library Sciences/Master of Library Information Sciences from an ALA accredited library school.
- Must be committed to fostering an equitable and inclusive working and learning environment.
Dominican University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to the goal of building an equity-centered faculty and staff committed to teaching, working, and learning in a multicultural environment. Dominican University believes that justice, equity, and inclusion are critical to our growth and development and seek to recruit, develop, and retain from a diverse pool of applicants who bring varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com for assistance.