Accounting Policy & Research Consultant
Come join our Accounting Policy and Research team making an immediate impact! This team is responsible for setting and evaluating accounting policies, interpreting guidance and developing accounting policies to conform with emerging accounting standards as well as providing expert consultation and advice on technical accounting matters affecting Securian.
The team plays a valuable role in helping drive the Company's strategic initiatives by providing expert advice on new business initiatives, transaction structuring, product development and positioning the Company for future accounting changes. You'll have the opportunity to drive change in an evolving environment, while building relationships with internal and external stakeholders, continually learning new topics and educating and / or presenting recommendations to various stakeholders, including senior leadership.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Independently execute research for new or proposed US GAAP and Statutory accounting changes, including their impact on risk-based capital changes.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to research, analyze and assess appropriate accounting treatment for special projects and / or transactions.
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships across the organization to provide ongoing guidance on evolving business initiatives.
- Prepare technical accounting documentation supporting conclusions and work with external auditors and consultants through the review process.
- Assist in maintaining library of technical accounting policies.
- Work closely with external auditors to address technical accounting matters as needed.
- Communicate with senior and executive leadership on technical accounting matters and other projects
- Execute projects timely by managing project teams and coordinating with cross-functional teams to implement and / or operationalize new initiatives, accounting guidance, transactions and complete documentation related to those projects.
- Bachelor's (or higher) degree in accounting or equivalent.
- 6+ years of relevant work experience in public accounting or accounting consulting type roles
- Strong technical accounting skills and experience in researching, interpreting and resolving complex accounting issues
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and analytical skills, including ability to present to senior leadership and collaborate with all areas of the organization.
- CPA (active status)
- Experience with financial institutions
- Self-motivated with strong appetite for learning and ability to positively adapt to change.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience with life insurance companies
- Experience in complex areas of accounting including financial instruments, derivatives, insurance contracts, business combinations, reinsurance and revenue recognition.
- Understanding of IFRS and Statutory accounting principles
*Securian Financial Group's internal job title for this position is Financial Reporting Consultant
Securian Financial believes in hybrid work as an integral part of our culture. Associates get the benefit of working both virtually and in our offices. If you're in a commutable distance (90 minutes) you'll join us 2-3 days each week in our offices to collaborate and build relationships. Our policy allows flexibility for the reality of business and personal schedules. When working in our offices at least two days per week isn't feasible (vacations, illness, travel, etc.), an eight day per month standard is an option. #LI-Hybrid
Physical Job Requirements:
- Ability to utilize the keyboard, computer and/or mouse for up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize the phone and/or virtual meeting platform for 1-4 hours per day
The physical job requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of jobs.
Securian Financial has been around for 140 years. We're committed to giving back to our community, donating 15,000 employee volunteer hours this past year. We also provide extensive resources to our employees for professional development and growth and a number of diverse professional and social opportunities throughout the company. There's a reason our employees have voted us as a best place to work year after year! In addition:
- Generous paid time off. We want you to take time off for whatever matters most to you!
- Tuition reimbursement program. We value continuous learning at Securian!
- Company-funded pension plan as well as 401K retirement plan - great resources to secure your financial future.
- Continuous opportunities for new challenges.
- Variety of health plan options as well as dental and vision plans.
- Paid maternity/paternity leaves.
Securian Financial Group, Inc. does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital or familial status, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, political affiliation, veteran status, status in regard to public assistance or any other protected status. If you are a job seeker with a disability and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please contact us by email at Employment@Securian.com, by telephone 651-655-5522 (voice), or 711 (Relay/TTY).
To view our privacy statement click here
To view our legal statement click here