Sign-On Bonus: $7,500 for qualifying applicants!
The Speech Pathologist provides assessment of patients to determine the need for speech therapy services. Performs speech therapy patient evaluation per provider referrals and maintains communication with the referring provider. Designs speech therapy plan of care to integrate patient/family goals, treatments, outcomes, and provider care plan. Provides, educates, and supervises speech therapy interventions per plan of care. Identifies and addresses educational, psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of the patient and family.
Why UnityPoint Health?
- Commitment to our Team – We’ve been named a Top 150 Place to Work in Healthcare 2022 by Becker’s Healthcare for our commitment to our team members.
- Culture – At UnityPoint Health, you Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing what's right for the people we serve.
- Benefits – Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage you’re in.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment – We’re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Development – We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
- Community Involvement – Be an essential part of our core purpose—to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
Speech Therapy Patient Evaluation, Treatment Interventions, and Education
- Assesses patients for appropriate speech therapy evaluation and/or treatment.
- Completes speech therapy evaluations and establishes plans of care, taking into consideration age, cognitive level, socioeconomic status, and support network.
- Determines appropriate interventions to improve speech and language function.
- Provides patient education regarding lifestyle improvements, home exercise programs, body mechanics, safety, and infection control.
- Meets regulatory and payer requirements by documenting patient evaluation, interventions and plans of care.
- Maintains ongoing communication with referring provider to ensure consistent plan of care and treatment interventions across all disciplines.
Staff and Community Education
- Participates in continuous quality improvement activities.
- Assists or supervises educational activities within the organization as needed and appropriate.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Bachelor of Science in Speech Pathology
Post Graduate Degree
· Prior work experience as a Speech Pathologist/Therapist
· Prior experience with Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system
· Current and valid license in the State of Iowa as Speech Pathologist
· BLS within 3 months of hire
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
· Collaboration skills
· Good communication skills – written & verbal
· Customer/patient focused
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Ability to manage priorities/deadlines
· Multicultural sensitivity
· Planning and organizing skills
· Problem-solving and analytical ability
· Relationship management
· Microsoft Office proficiency
· Epic knowledge
· Experience with use of specialized equipment appropriate to specialized care (i.e., Modified Barium Swallow Studies)