Operating Room Clinical Resource Nurse - Vascular Surgery
The Clinical Resource Nurse manages all aspects of the nursing process and the delivery of patient and family centered care. The Clinical Resource Nurse has the responsibility and authority to request and use governing and administrative resources, technological and support systems, and multidisciplinary clinical experts necessary to manage -and deliver quality, cost effective patient care. Proficient as a Staff Nurse Functions as an expert with a specific clinical focus encompassing all aspects of patient/family care, including the availability and appropriateness of equipment, standards, and competencies.
1.Utilizes the standards of Patient Focused Model. Plans, implements and evaluates, and manages care for all patients with consideration of age, developmental, socioeconomic, psychological, physical, spiritual and cultural factors.
2.Practice reflects knowledge of current nursing literature and resources, demonstrates ongoing learning in appropriate science, such as: contemporary medical, pharmacologic, pathophysiology to care for specific patient types.
3.Maintains competency in nursing practice and clinical skills and makes annual plan for professional development. Completes mandatory educational requirements.
4.Assesses, diagnoses, plans, implements and evaluates care for assigned patients that is consistent with the medical plan and is responsive to the patient's changing needs.
• Delegates appropriate nursing activities to unlicensed personnel based on: the stability of the patient; the training an capability of the unlicensed person to whom the nursing task is delegated; nature of the nursing task being delegated; and the proximity and availability of the nurse to the unlicensed person when performing the activity.
• Collects and analyzes patient information. Collaborates with patient, family, physicians and health care team members to: expedite and coordinate the delivery of services and insure efficient use of resources.
• Collaborates with the physician regarding the patient's clinical status, medical and nursing treatment plans, progression toward outcomes and next level of care. Maintains continuity of care, delivery process and family/significant other communication to achieve optimal outcomes.
• Assesses patient's learning needs. Develops a teaching plan based upon assessment Educates patients and family members in disease processes, testing, medications, signs/ symptoms, etc. Communicates understanding/progress to outcomes with other team members.
• Assures timely initiation, completion, communication and documentation of nursing care. Tests, treatment, teaching and discharge planning activities.
• Consults the Clinical Nurse Specialist and Health Care Coordinator for complex patient care management and discharge planning.
• Identifies barriers to implementing the plan of care or to achieving expected outcomes. Consults appropriate resources to report and/or resolve problems.
• Seeks out innovative opportunities to improve patient care.
• Exhibits fiscal accountability through cost effective use of time, material and other resources.
• Implements advanced clinical skills to achieve identified patient outcomes.
• Assists staff nurses to coordinate all resources to facilitate the Hospital admission process and a successful discharge.
• Acts as a resource/consultant for registered nurses and other team members.
• Develops and revises instructional materials for patient family teaching and/or staff development.
1.Assumes responsibility for direction, supervision, and development of assigned personnel.
2.Participates in hiring process and evaluating assigned personnel, or as requested.
3.Maintains smooth functioning of a department through effective priority setting, decision making, problem solving and organization of resources.
4.Identifies problems with systems or processes; recommends or participates in designing strategies that will improve the quality and utilization of Medical Center resources. Conducts and participates in multidisciplinary team conferences and educational offerings.
5.Demonstrates and applies assertiveness skills and techniques.
6.Participates in orientation of new employees and serves as a preceptor and mentor for team members.
7.Participates in and assists in the identification of performance improvement activities.
8.Assures practice meets external regulatory agencies' requirements. Assists in identifying areas for improvement and develops plan for compliance.
9.Chairs and or participates on unit committees to promote achievement of Division and Unit Objectives.
• Precepts unit orientees.
• Assists orientees and staff to perform basic an unit based competencies through referral or one-on-one teaching.
• Collaborates with Manager/Clinical Leader in development and implementation of Performance Improvement activities.
• Role models collaborative practice behaviors, communications, and standards.
• Develops, plans and makes recommendations for most cost effective use of time, materials, and other resources for area of clinical focus.
1.Role models service excellence standards by establishing and maintaining positive interpersonal relationships with patients, visitors, and hospital personnel.
2.Establishes collegial relationships that promote a sensitive, professional, and productive environment.
3.Consistently acts as a role model for professional nursing.
4.Expands clinical expertise through participation in ongoing educational activities and in professional organizations.
• Participates in the development and presentation of unit based educational activities.
• Identifies the need for change and seeks appropriate alternatives. Participates in the implementation of the change process and provides feedback.
• Conducts and participates in multidisciplinary team conferences and educational offerings.
• Demonstrates and applies assertiveness skills and techniques.
• Participates in orientation of new employees and serves as a preceptor and mentor for team members.
• Participates in and assists in the identification of performance improvement activities.
• Assures practice meets external regulatory agencies' requirements. Assists in identifying areas for improvement and develops plan for compliance.
• Understands and integrates service excellence standards at all times. Serves as a role model. Recognizes these attributes in others and celebrates their achievements.
• Participates in implementation of the change process.
Safety and Infection Control:
1.Follows hospital policy and procedures regarding patient and staff safety, maintains a safe environment.
2.Incorporates infection control standards in daily activities.
3.Shift supervision of unlicensed assistive personnel.
4.Administratively responsible to Patient Care Managers or designee.
• Meets the education and resource needs of staff within the related specialty in terms of procedures, equipment and new practices, i.e., updating Preference Cards in a timely fashion.
• Possesses the ability to navigate corporate and hospital intranet. Responsible for the ability to proficiently utilize departmental information systems in daily practice. Responsible for accurate documentation utilizing departmental information systems.
Customer Service Responsibilities:
• Works collaboratively with all members of the health care team, particularly those who predominantly are served in the various departments, i.e. Surgeons in Surgical Services, to meet the needs of the service.
• Assists with planning and implementation of changes regarding new practices and or procedures, i.e. building and maintaining Preference Cards in Surgical Services.
-Minimum of two years experience in an acute care hospital.
-Graduated from a school of nursing, Bachelor preferred. Has been educated in the development needs of adolescent through geriatric patient.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION and/or REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
-Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is Required.
-Work is performed in patient care areas. Considerable physical effort, standing and walking for most of the day. Assisting patients with . transfers (100 -350 lbs.) from bed to wheelchair or mat as well as positioning patient in bed or wheelchair, transporting patients from patient care floors to treatment rooms within the hospital. Lifts, carries, pushes, pulls medium heavy equipment, objects or supplies most of the day. Works in extended or difficult positions for extended periods of time. Exposure to blood, body fluids and infectious patients on a regular basis.