Registered Nurse (RN) - Nurse Extern - $29+ per hour
FirstHealth of the Carolinas is seeking a Registered Nurse (RN) Nurse Extern for a nursing job in Rockingham, North Carolina.
Job Description & Requirements
- Specialty: Nurse Extern
- Discipline: RN
- Duration: Ongoing
- 20 hours per week
- Shift: 8 hours, flexible
- Employment Type: Staff
The nurse extern is a temporary position for nursing students to practice in all nursing areas. Nurse extern is co-assigned with a RN and may perform direct and indirect patient care working under direct supervision of professional registered nurse.
Student must be in good standing of a nationally accredited nursing program in their final year of Associate or Baccalaureate RN program.
Able to work weekends, holidays, and shift rotations as needed. Considered critical service during inclement weather and disasters.
Assists registered nurse in the practice of professional nursing by providing direct patient care to promote patient comfort and facilitate performance of diagnostic and treatment procedures as outlined in nursing care plan.Provides basic patient care as delegated from the professional registered nurse which includes;
- Perform routine treatment procedures and assist in maintenance of a safe, clean environment.
- Assists the RN with the patient’s activities of daily living according to the needs of the patient in a timely manner, following departmental procedure.
- Performs designated procedures as needed by following departmental procedure.
- Accurately observes, records, and reports to RN all patient concerns, symptoms, reactions, and progress in a timely manner.
- Assists RN with examinations and procedures according to departmental procedure.
- Demonstrates knowledge in basic and intermediate care skills as verified by nurse mentor, preceptor, nurse manager and/or nurse director. Assists RN with procedures defined by advanced skills inventory.
- Demonstrates knowledge in those skills identified on skills checklist that may be carried out independently.
- Demonstrates knowledge in those skills identified on skills checklist that may be carried out under direct supervision of a RN.
- Educates self effectively and assists in peer education. Seeks educational opportunities to increase competence.
- Assists RN with indirect care by maintaining a clean, sanitary, and safe environment to prevent and/or control infections and to provide for safety of patients, visitors, and employees.
- Thoroughly cleans assigned patient care areas according to departmental procedure.
- May act in the role of a sitter for a patient as assigned by charge RN.
- May have limited access to medication including during transport of non-controlled substances at the request of a licensed care provider.
- Make rounds, handle patient requests, report and record changes in condition or behavior of patients or unusual incidents, within scope of training
- Make rounds and handle basic patient requests, and perform basic patient and family assistance tasks
- Assist and accompany patients in the admission, transfer and discharge process
- Ensure adherence to Hospitals and departmental policies and procedures.
FirstHealth of the Carolinas Job ID #37006. Posted job title: nurse extern cardiac pcu - progressive care unit
About FirstHealth of the Carolinas
FirstHealth of the Carolinas is a nationally recognized health care system located in central North Carolina. Comprised of four hospitals with more than 600 beds, the system also offers leading-edge heart care in the Reid Heart Center, the area’s only dedicated heart and vascular center. Our growing health system has more than 5,400 employees serving in more than 75 locations throughout a 15-county service area.
Why Vivian Health?
Be sure to apply via Vivian Health to increase your chances of landing your perfect job. Just complete your Vivian Health profileonce, and get access to thousands of opportunities across the country. Then keep up to date with your job application process and conversations with our easy to use app.
- Medical benefits
- Dental benefits
- Vision benefits
- Life insurance
- 403b retirement plan