RICHMOND COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM (RCSS)
OFFICIAL TITLE: Speech Language Pathologist
SUPERVISOR: Director of Special Education
SALARY RANGE: In accordance with RCBOE Salary Schedules
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 Months
Provide therapeutic intervention to remediate speech language disorders in preschool and school age students to allow full access to the general education curriculum.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES: (Asterisk for essential job duties.)
- To give interventions and guidance to general education teachers, special education teachers and parents through the RTI process
- To administer screenings in the area of speech and language
- To evaluate and diagnose specific speech or language deficits in referred students
- Prepare and submit accurate and appropriate evaluations, screenings, and reports within timeline restrictions
- Design appropriate goals and objectives for educationally based speech language therapy sessions in deficit areas for speech impaired students
- Provide quality education based therapeutic intervention based on goals related to deficit areas.
- Monitor and report student progress to student, teachers, parents and members of RTI or IEP teams
- Collaborate with regular classroom teachers, other special education teachers, related service providers, and parents in development of a variety of strategies to meet the educational needs of special education students
- Follow time schedules
- Attend and participate in all assigned meetings
- Maintain a positive, professional manner with students, parents, and coworkers
- Maintain confidentiality standard as defined by local, state, and federal rules and regulations
- Participate in professional learning activities
- Complete necessary paperwork for Medicaid billing
- Provide services for eligible private school, homeschooled, and preschool students
- Complete the additional paperwork associated with private/homeschooled and preschool students (Time and effort reports, parent travel reports, preschool outcome forms)
- The employee shall carry out such other and further duties, whether specifically listed above or not, as are assigned or required by such employee's supervisor, other appropriate school personnel, law board policy administrative regulation, department handbook, as are reasonably necessary to the efficient operation of the school system and its mission.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of the RCSS curriculum for the grade/content range of the position, RCSS special education program. Thorough knowledge of Individual Education Program (IEP), learning theory, differentiated instruction, data collection. best instructional practices, research based reading instruction, multicultural education, assessments, Individuals with Disabilities IDEIA Act (IDEA 2004), No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB 2001), and state and federal policies and procedures related to special
education. Ability to provide instructional support if position is in an inclusive setting. Works well with students with disabilities, teachers, and parents of students with disabilities. Ability to appropriately adapt instruction, programs and materials. Collects instructional data for decision making process. Excellent communication skills.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
Master's Degree in Speech Language Pathology
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
S-5 Teaching Certificate in Speech Language
Travel between schools may be required
Required to attend school meetings, programs and activities outside the instructional day as mandated by RCSS contract.
Performance of this job will be evaluated with Richmond County School System evaluation policy.
Date Established: 11/08
Date(s) Revised: 02/09
This description may be changed at any time. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Board. Richmond County Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
* Essential job duties -the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation.