Infection Control Coordinator - Long Term Care - LPN
Nursing - LPN
8 Hr Morning - Afternoon
Northeast Georgia Health System is rooted in a foundation of improving the health of our communities.
About the Role:
Works under the direction of the Director of Infection Prevention & Control as a member of the Infection Control team in the implementation of the Infection Prevention & Control Program. Contributes actively to the control, prevention and surveillance of infections throughout the health care system in an effort to maximize patient outcomes and improve the health of the communities we serve. This position will survey patients in the long-term care facilities. Employee performs clinical duties in accordance with population specific guidelines and adheres to McGeer's Surveillance Definitions for Long-term Care as outlined in policy and procedures.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Licensure or other certifications: LPN License within the State of Georgia. Certification in Infection Preventionist Specialized Training (IPCO) required within three (3) years of employment. Maintains certification.
- Educational Requirements: Associates Degree.
- Minimum Experience: Three (3) years general nursing.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Preferred Licensure or other certifications:
- Preferred Educational Requirements:
- Preferred Experience: Two (2) or more years in Infection Prevention & Control preferred.
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and experience in areas of patient care practices, microbiology, asepsis, disinfection/sterilization, adult education, infectious diseases
- Knowledge of regulatory agency standards (OSHA, regulatory requirements, State of Georgia Department of Human Resources)
- Advanced Computer Skills
- Basic statistics
- Knowledge of Performance Improvement principles and tools.
- Knowledge of evidence based best practice guidelines of APIC and CMS
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Prevention and control activities that are specific to the practice setting, the population served, and the continuum of care. Reviews, analyzes and applies regulations, standards and/or guidelines. Recommends new or revised practices or procedures based on currently accepted, evidence-based infection prevention and control strategies. Reviews, analyzes and applies pertinent information from current scientific literature and publications. Integrates relevant public health issues into practice.
- Applies epidemiologic principles and statistical methods to analyze trends and evaluate prevention and control strategies. Conducts surveillance and investigations by using epidemiologic principles. Uses appropriate statistical techniques to describe the data, calculate rates, and critically evaluate significance of findings. Proficient at daily analysis of electronic infection control data via the electronic medical record.
- Uses a systematic approach to surveillance to monitor the effectiveness of prevention and control strategies that are consistent with the organization goals and objectives. Uses standardized definitions for the identification and classification of events, indictors, or outcomes. Reports epidemiologically significant findings to appropriate customers. Provides infection control focused departmental surveillance (tracers). Monitors and reports compliance of hand hygiene, isolation, and best practice initiatives.
- Serves as an educational resource for infection prevention and control. Assesses the educational needs of customers and develops educational objectives and strategies to meet those needs. Collaborates in the development, delivery, and evaluation of educational programs or tools that relate to infection prevention, control and epidemiology. Evaluates the effectiveness of educational programs and learner outcomes.
- Provides expert knowledge and guidance in infection prevention and control-related issues. Maintains access to current information on infection prevention and control. Provides knowledge on the function, role and value of the program to customers. Collaborates in the integration of pertinent regulatory requirements, accreditation standards, guidelines, and infection control practice into policies and procedures. Ensures that findings, recommendations, and policies of the Infection Control Department are disseminated to appropriate groups or individuals.
- Applies relevant research findings to infection prevention and control practice. Critically evaluates research and incorporates findings. Disseminates relevant published research findings through practice, education, or consultation. Organizes and shares findings from surveillance activities or outbreak investigations. Participates in infection prevention and control-related research independently or collaboratively. Publishes or presents research findings to assist in advancing the field of infection prevention and control.
- Participates in the Performance Improvement plan to improve practice and patient outcomes. Identifies opportunities for improvement based on indicators, process and outcome measures, other findings and/or observations. Contributes epidemiologic skills to improvement process.
- Engages in Infection Prevention and Control related services and duties as assign by the Manager of Infection Prevention and Control. Accepts assignments to incorporate new infection prevention & control best practice guidelines into clinical practice at NGMC, reporting statistics and outcomes as requested.
- Weight Lifted: Up to 20 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Weight Carried: Up to 20 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
- Vision: Heavy, Constantly 66-100% of time
- Kneeling/Stooping/Bending: Frequently 31-65%
- Standing/Walking: Frequently 31-65%
- Pushing/Pulling: Frequently 31-65%
- Intensity of Work: Frequently 31-65%
- Job Requires: Reading, Writing, Reasoning, Talking, Keyboarding
Working at NGHS means being part of something special: a team invested in you as a person, an employee, and in helping you reach your goals.
NGHS: Opportunities start here.
Northeast Georgia Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.