Principal Software Engineer Job Locations
We seek a talented Principal Software Engineer. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a thorough understanding of engineering technology. Successful candidates will guide the technical design of products and systems; guide designs involving interdisciplinary teams in close cooperation with senior engineering management, program management and/or product line management. Will serve as an expert in assigned technical area, both internally and to represent the company externally.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Guide the technical design of products Guide designs involving interdisciplinary teams in close cooperation with senior engineering management, program management and/or product line management.
Serve as an expert in assigned technical area, both internally and to represent the company externally. Not just from software view but from system level as well.
Review customer specifications and requirements, and develop designs to best support them, including cost as a key design variable
Provide budget, cost and schedule input for design assignments
Document component and subsystem specifications and material requirements
Analyze designs as necessary
Specify and evaluate supplier components, subsystems and services
Support the program design to cost and design for manufacture requirements
Communicate clearly (written and oral) with manufacturing, supply chain, program management and the customer as required
Participate heavily in preparation of the more complex and significant proposals
Provide technical expertise and assistance to other engineers and support personnel
Interact with technical management, other professionals, technicians and support personnel to coordinate, recommend and confer regarding technical activities and progress
May mentor and coach the work of others as assigned
Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
*Master's degree in computer science or engineering with a minimum of 10+ years of experience
*15+ years of technical software design experience
* Solid understanding of multi-threading/multi-processing
* Strong development experience in C and C++
* Proficient with Microsoft Office, including MS PowerPoint, MS Word and MS Excel
* Motivated, self-starter individual
* Comfortable working on new business development/advance program/new concept pursuits
* Experience as a technical lead, providing expertise and assistance to other engineers and support personnel
* Experience/ familiarity with networks, especially Ethernet architecture and associated protocols;
* US Government Security Clearance desired, but not required
* Must be able to travel
* Development of algorithms relating to mathematical modeling, 2D and 3D transforms, georeferencing
* Strong analytical and communication skills
* Experience working with video, communication protocols, and mesh networking
* Familiarity with national standards and formats such as Motion Imagery Standard Board (MISB) and Test and Engineering Enabling Architecture (TENA)
* Experience with ISO and CMMI documentation and compliance
* Lead and direct the work of others as assigned
* Expert with modern software development processes, including software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and agile development life cycles.
* Experience developing software in a Linux environment
* Experience working with embedded systems and microcontrollers
* Perform cyber security engineering tasks on systems including security implementation, testing, and mitigating issues from testing.
* Analyze cyber security requirements and controls, support development of risk mitigation plans for vulnerability, and support certification and evaluation effort.
* Support design and development of cyber security architecture and documentation.
* Perform network scans with the existing network scanning tools.
* Ability to analyze the system risks and vulnerabilities of devices on various networks
* Ability to develop detailed cyber security architecture diagrams
* Familiarity with the Department of Defense Information Assurance/Cyber Security requirements and certification processes beneficial
* Familiarity with the Risk Management Framework (RMF) process a bonus
SRI International, an over 75-year strong pioneering research institute, has a rich history supporting government and industry. Our innovations have created new industries, billions of dollars in market value and lasting benefits to society. SRI is organized around broad disciplines and capabilities, with research and development divisions and labs to groups who excel at identifying new opportunities, developing products and creating custom solutions. Our organization is driven by impact - delivering unique solutions for the world's important challenges and transforming ideas into reality for clients and partners.
The salary range is: $135,028.00-$200,856.15. Salary ranges will vary and are based on several factors, including geographic location, market competitiveness and equity amongst internal employees in similar roles. Positions may also qualify for SRI's Pay for Outstanding Performance program or the annual Performance Based Compensation program. SRI also has a competitive benefits package, to view details please go to https://www.sri.com/resources/benefits/